Orthodontic braces and high sugar drinks are not a good mix. At Cleveland Orthodontics we are careful to give advice that will keep teeth healthy during brace treatment.
But soft and fizzy drinks are contributing towards the state of the nation’s general health…and not in a good way.
The amount of sugar in certain products is staggering… sometimes up to 8 teaspoons in a can or bottle. Teenagers in the UK are drinking themselves into ill health.
Statistics of sugar
- Teenagers in the UK are consuming on average 50% more sugar than their daily recommended allowance.
- Soft/fizzy drinks are the main source of sugar consumption.
- 1 in 3 children are leaving primary school overweight.
- 2 in 3 adults in Britain are obese.
Storing up trouble
Reducing sugar consumption is a key objective of Public Health England and other bodies. This is because of the effects of eating and drinking too much sugar, which include:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Some cancers
- Tooth decay
Simple healthy changes
Having braces means that sugary drinks have to stop! That can provide a great opportunity to start a healthier lifestyle in general… which the whole family can benefit from.
This happened with one of our own patients. You can read about his story here.
Here are some simple steps towards healthier living.
- Have a jug of water on the table at family meal times instead of soft drinks
- Avoid snacking and “grazing” throughout the day
- Make your own smoothies at home
- Eat proper fruit rather than fruit juices (which are also high in sugar)
Check out the Change4Life website which provides information for all age groups about how to adopt healthy lifestyles.
The website includes advice on eating well including recipe ideas as well as how to exercise more.
At Cleveland Orthodontics we have registered to become a Local Supporter of Change4Life as we feel that good oral health goes hand-in-hand with good general health.
Look out for our information leaflets in our practice if you are visiting us for your brace treatment.
- Public Health England: Policy on Obesity and Healthy Eating
- NHS Choices: How to cut down on sugar in your diet
About Cleveland Orthodontics
Our specialist-led practice has been established since 1996 and provides brace treatment to people of all ages from across the North East, including Middlesbrough, Yarm, Stockton-on-Tees, Billingham and Redcar.
We offer NHS orthodontic treatment for children and a range of modern white and “invisible” braces for adults of all ages such as Invisalign. FREE consultations are available… you can either telephone for an appointment on 01642 243 020 or book through our website.